Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I wanna...


I despise music videos for the very fact that it is just plain commercial. Nonetheless in certain rare occasions, there comes along a music video that defies all boundaries and perception. A music video so ingenious and creative that it makes all videos in current circulation look like pieces of decomposed thrash (especially some of the recycled Emo crap that circulates on MTV these days). Which by the way reminds me, why is it even called Emo? I would think it refers to the term ‘emotional’. But how in the world can you equate emotionality to your own genre of music.

Emotions arise in a person’s derivation of a piece of music and not in the author’s interpretation. I listen to Mariah Carey and I go “very cool, damn good singing!” but I have a friend who cries each time she listens to Mariah Carey. It truly stirs up her emotions and likewise Vast can sometimes bring tears to my eyes but many aren’t affected by it. So how calling a genre of music Emo still dumbfounds me. Many may argue and say “music is not to be criticized as it offers different perspectives to different people and may take on a different meaning to other people” but when music is being made for the sake of money and commerciality whilst being force fed to people as being the norm then it deserves all caustic ridicule and abhorrence.

Back to my initial thoughts, music videos (as much as I consider it an abomination) can sometimes enlighten and shed new light to visualizations never imagined. Here is a music video which ranks as being my all time favourite. It is grotesque, raw, mysterious, morose, cacophonous and simply animalistic (much like the message behind the song). It is obviously banned in many countries but with the power of the internet we get to see this remarkable piece of art.


Nine Inch Nails - Closer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home